Cosmetic treatments are everywhere! Whether it’s your favorite celebrities, friends, family, or coworkers, you likely often see the impactful results of plastic surgery. Yet, while many are used to seeing the outcomes of surgeries, patients are sometimes unaware of the recovery and downtime before coming in for a consultation. While every patient and their recovery are unique, knowing what to expect can set you up for success!
Patients and their recovery
Since every patient’s needs and bodies are unique, timelines vary—even among those seeking similar treatments. Factors like age, general health, genetics, and preexisting conditions can all impact healing. While Dr. Houser’s job is to deliver expert care and beautiful aesthetics, patients must also be ready to follow our team’s instructions.
Patients hold great power when it comes to recovery! Neglecting to follow instructions or failing to rest can lead to subpar results and slow healing. For instance, smoking can decrease your body’s ability to heal, stretching out your estimated recovery time. Skipping prescribed medications or becoming negligent with drains can make your recovery uncomfortable or put you at an elevated risk for infection. Following all of our directions, including adequately resting, is crucial for a comfortable, efficient recovery.
During your consultation and postoperative checkups with Dr. Houser, he will discuss your estimated recovery time based on your procedure. Below are some estimated timelines for common cosmetic treatments:
- Rhinoplasty: Generally, the majority of rhinoplasty recovery takes place within the first two weeks. Splints that may be inserted in the nose during surgery are removed at the first postoperative visit. Swelling and bruising may persist for around two to three weeks. Worried about pain? Most patients experience a feeling of pressure during recovery that can be treated simply with over-the-counter pain medication. It may take up to a year to see the final results, but the wait is always worth it!
- Tummy tuck: Another common surgery, tummy tucks deliver dramatic and life-changing results. They are performed with an epidural catheter and twilight anesthetic to minimize pain after surgery. Tummy tucks are one of the few surgeries that requires a drain, but Dr. Houser usually removes it after one week. Pain medication is required for a few days, though many patients do well with simple over-the-counter medications. Getting up and moving is critical during recovery. However, bending or twisting is limited for two weeks.
- Breast augmentation: Initial recovery typically takes around one to three weeks. Light activity can generally be resumed after one to two days, and a patient may return to work after their surgery wounds heal around five to ten days. Long-term recovery continues over three months.
- Facelift: Most facelifts are performed under twilight sedation, which means a faster and more comfortable recovery. Bruising and swelling are most severe in the first two days and may persist for a few more days. Most patients recover in around two weeks, with final results visible around one to two months.
- Injectables: Injectables are a nonsurgical, noninvasive procedure. Facial fillers are a great option for those who want to get rid of wrinkles without undergoing a facelift. After receiving filler, there may be some temporary swelling and bruising at the injection site, but it is typically very minor. A slightly “overfilled” appearance may be visible at first, but all of these minor recovery signs will vanish within a few hours or a few days, at most.
To get the best results possible, it’s important to know the facts on recovery! Here at Cosmetic & Plastic Surgery of Columbus, we’ll be with you every step of the way. If you have any questions or are ready to book an appointment, call our team at 614.890.5565.Previous Post Next Post